Monday, July 27, 2009

33- Cape Breton Kitchen Party, 34- Out on the Mira

I went to Cape Breton for a Jack and Jill party for a bride and groom who will be marrying on October 17th. I had never heard of a Jack and Jill party until I had friends from CB. If you too are curious what a Jack and Jill party entails, think wedding reception being passed of for a wedding shower. It was amazing. Decorations, door prizes, a DJ, handmade treats and sandwiches, dancing, drinks. If I ever get married it will consist of someones living room decorated with some Dollarama streamers and melon balls. I was blown away by how much work went in to this. I was happy I went because I will be missing the wedding, and this was a nice substitute. I guess I should have never underestimated a Cape Bretoner's ability to throw a great party!** The above photo is Canada's Largest Fiddle found on the Sydney waterfront. I read once that if when travelling you see something that is titled 'largest', you should stop and photograph it, chances are you will not see anything of that girth again. So as touristy as it may be I stood with the socks in sandals, fanny pack wearers and snapped this shot.

Cape Breton was an experience, and I am very thankful for being able to take the trip. Even without the sun shining this part of Nova Scotia shone in its glory that has been forever spoke (and sang about). People were kind and generous. The pace of life was perfect. Words cannot describe the scenery and we didn't make the quest to the famed highlands. As we drove to and from Sydney I saw cottages and homes people dream of owning. Driving through Whycocomagh, I thought, how amazing it would be to live in a place this beautiful with the beauty of hills high above and ocean at your feet. To have the chance to take your time and relax, enjoy life without rushing. It could have possibly been the front lawn covered in wood cut-outs painted like every character from 'The Simpsons' that made me think of all the extra time people may have on their hands.

** Baddeck had a zillion opportunities for photos, here is one of many.

No comments:

Post a Comment